Medical errors are unfortunately common throughout Michigan. To help mitigate the confusion and uncertainty after an injury, we try to answer any question that may come across your mind. We hope that the knowledge we provide can give you direction on what to do next, from collecting evidence and calculating damages to pursuing a claim for compensation.

Along with answering questions, a skilled lawyer can assist you with each step of your case. In fact, we may be able to assist you in receiving a settlement or reimbursement for damages. The attorneys at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. have the experience and expertise with gathering evidence, calculating damages, and negotiating an appropriate settlement for you after a medical mistake was made.

Get Answers to Your Malpractice Questions Below

Our Michigan medical malpractice lawyers are aware that you probably have many questions about your current situation or a case involving someone that you love. We try to answer many of these questions below. Although each medical malpractice case is unique, these frequently asked questions and answers could provide you with some guidance regarding what initial steps should be taken.

Some of the common questions we receive about malpractice cases include:

  • What is “informed consent”?
  • If I sign a consent form, do I waive my rights to sue?
  • How do I know if I have a case against a doctor or other medical professional?
  • Who can I sue for medical malpractice?
  • Do I need a medical malpractice lawyer to file a case?
  • What types of compensation could I receive?
  • What is the damage cap for medical malpractice cases?
  • How much time do I have to file a lawsuit?
  • Can I file a medical malpractice lawsuit for a misdiagnosis?

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions that we hear from clients throughout Michigan who have suffered injuries due to medical malpractice. Of course, you may have other inquiries regarding your unique case that must be addressed by a skillful attorney. To discuss the specifics of your case, reach out to Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. today.

If you were paralyzed due to medical malpractice you may be able to sue the negligent hopsital or doctor who committed the medical mistake. Medical malpractice lawsuits when a patient becomes paralyzed from a medical mistake are filed for a number reasons. These cases can arise from anesthesia errors, undiagnosed and untreated spinal infections, the negligent care of a stroke victim, and other types of errors.

In order to prove that a person suffered paralysis from medical negligence , it must be established through medical experts that a medical error was committed and that this was a cause of the paralysis. Many procedures involve the risk of paralysis and this unfortunate condition can happen even with proper medical care. Therefore, it must be established that the paralysis would not have occurred with proper treatment.

At the time of this writing, compensation for morcellator lawsuits has not yet been paid out. Legal experts estimate that settlement amounts will be substantial when these claims are eventually settled. Power morcellators are devices that are used in myomectomy and hysterectomy procedures. Lately, they have come under heavy criticism for the risk they pose to spreading dormant cancer cells located in the uterus of some women.

Lawsuits against the makers of power morcellators seek compensation for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, lost income, medical expenses, and various other damages. Settlement amounts vary on an individual basis. Our law firm can listen to your story and determine what type of lawsuit you should pursue.

Yes, and you do not need to prove you suffered a serious injury or disfigurement, only that the other driver is at-fault. At this point you can then sue the other driver for all your injuries and damages. A claim is made against the driver and owner of the motorcycle that caused the accident, and your damages are covered by their insurance company.

Yes, if the following two criteria are fulfilled. First, is the driver of the automobile at-fault? Second, did you sustain a serious injury or disfigurement (like a scar) from the crash? If both are true then the automobile driver can be sued.

Finding the best lawyer in Michigan for a motorcycle accident lawsuit can be difficult task. When looking to hire an attorney after your Michigan car accident, you may want to ask the attorney the following questions:

  1. Do you specialize in Michigan motorcycle accident lawsuit cases and how many years of experience have you had in representing motorcycle accident injury clients?
  2. Have you ever written a book on motorcycle accident and insurance claims?
  3. Do you have a website with information on motorcycle accident cases and free forms that I can print to make my insurance claim?
  4. Have you ever taken a motorcycle accident case to trial and won a verdict for your client?
  5. Do you offer a No Win, No Fee promise?
  6. What kind of settlements have you received for your Michigan motorcycle accident clients?

The lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. will give you direct answers to all of those questions, as well as answer any other questions that you may have regarding your case and your legal rights. Our firm has represented motorcycle accident injury victims and their families for over 40 years throughout the State of Michigan, and has the knowledge, expertise, and experience in handling these types of cases. We have a track record of obtaining sizeable Michigan motorcycle accident settlements and jury verdicts for our injured clients and providing the best service possible.

For more information about our award winning law firm and to discuss your case with one of our best lawyers for your Michigan motorcycle accident lawsuit, call our office now at (800) 606-1717. We offer a No Win, No Fee promise, meaning our clients do not pay a penny until the case is settled or won. Call today for your free consultation!

Yes. The procedures and requirements for filing medical malpractice cases against a VA Hospital are slightly different, but patients do have the right to file lawsuits.

Yes. If you were given the wrong drugs or an overdose of medications in the hospital and this caused you injuries and further complications, you may have a medical malpractice case in Michigan against the hospital.

This depends on how your son presented to the emergency room and what the findings of the physical exam were at the visit. If these things should have caused the doctor to suspect a diagnosis of meningitis and he discharged your son without giving proper treatment, he does have a valid medical malpractice case.

In order to file a case for failure to diagnose cancer, it must be proven through medical testimony that the delay in treatment has affected your outcome, your life expectancy, or your ability to receive less radical treatment. These cases present many challenging medical and legal issues but victims of this type of medical malpractice should contact a lawyer at our office to immediately to investigate their case.

The time limit for filiing lawsuits is called the “Statute of Limitations.” The general rule for medical malpractice cases is that a patient has two years from the date of the malpractice to file a lawsuit against all negligent health providers. There are some exceptions to the rule, like for cases for children or those involving wrongful death. It is important to contact our office immediately when you suspect that malpractice has occurred so that a deadline does not destroy your case.

Yes. Attorney Lawrence J. Buckfire wrote “The Ultimate Michigan Medical Malpractice Handbook” and you can request a FREE COPY by clicking on the book link or by visiting the FREE BOOK LIBRARY section of our web site.

You may be able to file a Michigan gastric bypass malpractice suit against the bariatric surgeon if he was negligent during the procedure and caused a complication or condition that was not a normal risk of your sugery. Because there are known complications or risks of gastric bypass surgery, you would must prove that your condition was due to the surgeon making an unreasonably mistake or by failing to promptly identify and correct a surgical complication before closing you up and ending the surgery.

Gastric bypass surgery, like most other surgeries, has risks inherent to the procedure. A poor result from a surgery does not always mean that there was malpractice by the surgeon. Other times, the surgeon may be negligent for failing to promptly diagnose a condition, like a gastric leak, and failing to timely treat the leak. In those situations, you may have gastric bypass malpractice case. A qualified medical malpractice lawyer can review your records and advise you if you do have a case.

For cases involving children, the general rule in birth injury cases is that an injured baby or infant patient must sue within 2 years from the date of the medical mistake or before the person’s 10th birthday – whichever date is later. This short time period may be extended briefly in limited circumstances such as where the injury is not discovered until later, the injury occurred before April 1, 1994, or the patient dies and a court-appointed representative prosecutes the claim.

Under Michigan medical malpractice laws, a patient can sue a hospital only a limited number of circumstances. If the malpractice was committed by a hospital employee, then the patient has the right to sue the hospital. This would include nurses, radiologists, anesthesiologists, emergency room physicians, and other hospital employees. If the malpractice was committed by a surgeon who was not employed at the hospital, like a doctor in private practice who was just operating at the hospital, it then depends a number of factors. It is important to contact an experienced Michigan medical malpractice lawyer to make this determination.

On most occasions, it is negligence if a surgeon cuts or nicks a bile duct during laparoscopic gallbladder surgery. Depending on how the injury was corrected and your later course of treatment, you might have a Michigan medical malpractice lawsuit.

In Michigan, a person injured due to medical malpractice must generally file a lawsuit within two years of the date of the negligent act under the statute of limitations. If the negligent act is discovered after the two year period, you may have an additional six months to file your lawsuit under the “discovery rule.”

If you fail to meet these deadlines, your case will be destroyed forever and you cannot sue for your injuries. It is essential that you contact an experienced Michigan medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible so that you do not lose your rights to a fair settlement.

In cases involving minors or legally incapacitated persons, the limitations periods are often longer. When there is a wrongful death claim, the period is also often extended. To get specific information about your case, you should contact our Michigan medical malpractice law firm at (800) 606-1717.

The State of Michigan imposes limits to recovery for medical malpractice cases. No matter how seriously injured you are, there is a maximum recovery you can obtain for non-economic damages, which include pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, scarring and disfigurement, and similar damages. This amount increases slightly every year. There is no limit to the amount that you can receive for your economic losses, like lost earnings, medical expenses, and future similar expenses for your lifetime.

Michigan was one of the first states to pass such a law. Despite being unfair and unjust, it has been held constitutional by the Michigan Supreme Court. It is not surprising that the majority of judges on the court that determined that the law is constitutional were appointed to their position because of insurance company money and lobbyists from the medical profession. The law is ridiculous because it puts limits on cases brought by Michigan malpractice victims with the most serious injuries and does nothing to reduce the number filings of so called “frivolous cases.”