Our Michigan personal injury attorneys have been successfully recovering settlements for people just like you since 1969. Our award-winning Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. lawyers have achieved the highest rating for skill and integrity in the legal profession by the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell service.
Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. represents clients throughout the State of Michigan for a wide variety of personal injury cases, including automobile accidents, medical malpractice cases, and wrongful death lawsuits. We have won significant settlements and jury verdicts for our injured clients in all case types in virtually every county in Michigan.
If you or someone you care about has been injured in an accident or was harmed by the negligence by another individual or entity, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit and receive a settlement. This page contains information about settlements and jury verdicts won in Michigan. Our attorneys regularly win among the highest settlements every year in Michigan.
How are Personal Injury and Accident Settlements Determined?
There is no set formula used to determine the amount of a personal injury settlement. Many people research for “average settlement amounts,” but there is really no such average. There are specific factors that plaintiff’s lawyers, defense lawyers, and insurance companies consider in evaluating the proper amount of a settlement.
The factors used to determine a settlement payout include the:
- Age of the plaintiff
- Type of injuries suffered and medical treatment required
- Degree of permanency of injuries or if they have healed
- Way that the injury has affected the person’s life
- Case type, such as auto accident, medical malpractice, or wrongful death
- The degree of liability, or negligence, of all parties
- The amount of medical expenses and lost income, including past, present, and future
- The venue, or location, of the lawsuit
- Insurance policy limits to cover the losses and harm done
How Do You Calculate Pain and Suffering?
While the amounts of lost income and medical expenses can be easily calculated, it is much more difficult to determine the value of a person’s pain and suffering. Your attorney’s skill and experience is the key to receiving top compensation for these damages.
There are two types of pain and suffering, those physical in nature and those mental or psychological in nature. For either type, it is often the testimony of the injured person, family members, co-employees, and medical providers that provide the basis for this claim. Quite often, the medical records establish the level of these damages.
The law itself does not assign any dollar value to pain and suffering and ultimately it is up to a judge or jury to determine the amount at trial. For cases that settle before a trial, it is the negotiation between the parties that establishes this amount.
Some of Our Top Michigan Injury & Accident Case Results
Our Michigan personal injury lawyers have been successfully representing good people who have been injured in accidents for over forty years. In fact, over 95% of all cases we handle are settled before ever setting foot in a court room. Here are just some of our recent case results for clients who were injured just like you.
- $5,000,080 – Southfield, Michigan – Assisted Living Wrongful Death Jury Verdict
- $5,000,000 – Michigan Motorcycle Accident Judgment
- $4,100,000 – Michigan Medical Negligence Lawsuit Settlement
- $3,750,000 – Ann Arbor, Michigan – Medical Malpractice Settlement
- $3,650,000 – Detroit, Michigan area Assisted Living Death Settlement
- $3,350,000 – Wrongful death from truck accident in Detroit
- $3,000,000 – Sexual assault lawsuit settlement
- $3,000,000 – Confidential Cerebral Palsy/Birth Injury Settlement
- $1,600,000 – Oakland County, Michigan – Wrongful Death Car Accident Settlement
- $1,400,000 – Detroit, Michigan – Child Lead Poisoning Settlement
- $1,325,000 – Pontiac, Michigan – Slip & Fall Spinal Injury Settlement
- $1,305,000 – No-fault insurance settlement for attendant care benefits for a TBI victim
- $1,250,000 – Michigan Truck Accident Settlement
- $1,000,000 – Macomb County bicyclist wrongful death settlement
- $ 900,000 – Mid-Michigan medical malpractice settlement for spinal cord injury
- $ 675,000 – Detroit child lead paint poisoning settlement
- $ 565,000 – Northern Michigan Nursing Home Fall Injury Settlement
- $ 485,000 – St. Clair County Dog Bite Attack for a child bitten in the face
More Examples of the Biggest Michigan Injury Settlements
- $15,000,000 auto accident settlement for a passenger with quadriplegia and a closed-head injury.
- $12,000,000 settlement for infant with cerebral due to negligence at a Michigan hospital.
- $11,900,000 truck accident settlement for passengers killed by a speeding truck.
- $10,700,000 wrongful death settlement for a motorcyclist struck by a semi-truck.
- $ 8,000,000 truck accident settlement for a husband and wife who suffered severe injuries.
- $ 7,000,000 wrongful death settlement for a passenger was killed in an Oakland County car accident.
- $ 6,872,931 jury verdict for a passenger injured in a Dearborn car accident.
- $ 4,500,000 wrongful death lawsuit settlement for the family of a young man killed by a septic truck driver.
- $ 4,500,000 cerebral palsy medical malpractice settlement against a Michigan hospital and doctor.
- $ 3,500,000 medical malpractice settlement for a patient who suffered a spinal cord injury.
- $ 2,500,000 medical malpractice settlement for 33 year-old patient who suffered brain damage.
- $ 2,325,000 jury verdict for two passengers were injured in a car accident hit by propane trailer.
How much is My Case Worth?
We are often asked this question when contacted by a new client and it is a difficult one to answer. Many lawyers will tell you an unrealistically high amount so that you hire their firm, only to be disappointed later that the result did not meet your expectations.
We believe the best approach is tell our clients that they have a strong case, but we will not know the actual worth until we have reviewed medical records and determined liability in the case. This is the honest approach and most clients would prefer honesty over false promises.
Our lawyers will give you an approximate, realistic settlement range for your case once a full evaluation has been performed. We discuss our settlement strategies with you and get your input so you are fully satisfied with your compensation award. There is never a settlement without your approval.
Choosing the Best Lawyer for Your Case
The law firm that you hire is the difference between winning a great settlement or nothing at all. Our award winning attorneys have the skill and experience to win your case. We work harder and smarter than our opponents and the result is getting top settlements for our clients every year.
Our lawyers have won the top awards in the legal industry, including being named Super Lawyers, Best Law Firms, The Best Lawyers in America, and Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
Find Out About Your Settlement
To find out if you are entitled to a settlement, contact our office today to speak with a top-ranked attorney. We charge no legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement. If your case is unsuccessful for any reason, then you owe us nothing. We put that in writing for you.
Thank you again, Bob, for all your support during the past eighteen months. You are not only a fantastic attorney, you are a great person. I am so happy to have met you. My sincere thanks.
Our attorney, Robert J. Lantzy, was always available to take our calls, kept us updated very frequently and advised us thoroughly throughout the lawsuit process.
I’m the kind of person who researches everything before purchasing anything or hiring anyone. That’s what lead me Buckfire Law Firm. I called and was connected with Bob Lantzy. Let me tell you, from the very beginning Bob was seriously awesome! I read another review that said Bob felt like a friend and that couldn’t more true. He really does make you feel that way. Bob had no problem answering the one million questions I had, he always kept me in the loop, and helped me get the most I could in my settlement. If I ever need an attorney in the future, I would not hesitate to give him a call.
- 29000 Inkster Road
Southfield, MI 48034
- Phone: (248) 595-7544
- 19 Clifford St.
Suite 805 Merchants Row
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 992-8281
- 1001 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 777-8482
- 343 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Phone: (734) 888-3003
- 51424 Van Dyke Ave
Shelby Township, MI 48316
- Phone: (586) 250-2626