After being attacked and bitten by a dog, you may be facing medical bills, an extensive recovery time, and uncertainty over how to proceed. However, our Michigan dog bite lawyers will help to bring a claim for compensation forward on your behalf. The experienced attorneys at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. most often have a claim settled before it goes to court or reaches a trial.
How a Dog Attack Settlement Amount is Determined
There is no direct formula or guide to calculate the amount of a dog bite settlement. The amount awarded is instead determined by a number of factors, which include:
- The circumstances of the dog bite or attack
- The age and gender of the victim
- The type of injuries suffered by the victim
- The location of the injuries on the bitten person—such as the legs, arms, or face
- The amount of medical treatment needed by the victim, as well as the future medical treatment needed
- Whether there are permanent injuries, scars, or disfigurements
- The amount of medical expenses, bills, and lost wages incurred by the victim
- The amount of insurance coverage owned by the dog owner
No matter the circumstances, our knowledgeable Michigan lawyers will evaluate each factor of a case and discuss what is likely to be awarded. Trying to negotiate with an insurance company alone is often difficult, especially due to their numerous tactics to try to get a victim to settle for far less than their claim may be worth. By working with an experienced attorney, you can rest assured that will have a skilled legal professional on your side who is working tirelessly to win the highest settlement available.
Examples of Michigan Dog Bite Settlements
At Buckfire & Buckfire, our lawyers work to win the possible highest settlements. Below are examples of claims and lawsuits won by our law firm for dog bite cases.
- $485,000 Settlement for a two-year-old girl viciously mauled by a pit bull in St. Clair County
- $475,000 Settlement for a Michigan woman attacked by a neighbor’s dog that escaped from the yard
- $320,000 Settlement for a West Michigan resident attacked by a dog while house-sitting for a relative
- $295,000 Settlement for a boy who suffered a fractured skull and facial scars from a vicious dog attack
- $200,000 Settlement for an Ann Arbor infant who suffered multiple dog bites to his arms and face
- $225,000 Settlement for a young Warren girl bitten in the face by a neighbor’s dog
- $175,000 Settlement for an Oakland County woman attacked by two dogs at the same time
- $175,000 Settlement for a 9-year-old girl attacked by a dog in a Ypsilanti apartment complex
- $150,000 Settlement for young Saginaw area girl who underwent plastic surgery for a dog bite on her arm
- $101,000 Settlement for a 3-year-old boy bitten by a dog at a Van Buren County park
- $100,000 Settlement for Royal Oak woman bitten on her face by a dog in a neighborhood park
Who Pays the Settlement Amount?
In most dog bite cases, the settlement is paid by the homeowner insurance company for the dog owner or keeper. If it is a business, the insurance liability policy for the business pays the claim. Almost all insurance policies include provisions for paying settlements to victims of canine attacks.
How Long Do Settlements Take?
Some cases settle very quickly and others can take a long time. There is no set timetable for resolving any type of personal injury claim, including from a dog bite. Many times, especially with children, it is important to wait some time to see if a scar will heal or be permanent. This has a major effect on the settlement payout so it is better to be patient and “wait and see” than to rush into a quick settlement.
Other cases that involve minor bites and puncture wounds that did not require significant medical treatment can settle in a much shorter period of time. We just need to get the medical records, medical bills, and photographs so we can send a settlement demand letter to the insurance adjuster. Those matters often settle quickly because the full extent of the damages is already known.
Call Our Lawyers to Get Your Michigan Dog Bite Settlement
After suffering a dog bite, you contact out our Michigan lawyers to discuss your legal options and how to best proceed. Even when injuries are apparent, trying to pursue a claim without legal representation might be disastrous to your case.
The top-rated attorneys at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. work tirelessly to gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and pursue full and fair compensation on your behalf. To begin your claim, call today and we will get started immediately. There are never any legal fees unless you get a settlement.
Bob and his team took great care of us and explained the process very clearly. They responded quickly to questions and concerns and were very understanding of our situation. We would highly recommend Buckfire & Buckfire.
When my 2 year old daughter was severely bitten by a dog, my husband and I didn’t know where to begin. Robert Lantzy, from Buckfire & Buckfire, put that all at ease! He actually came directly to the hospital to go over everything with us. I never once felt stressed about the handling of my daughter’s case.Robert always made sure we knew exactly what was going on and explained everything in detail and answered any questions. He took into consideration how hectic everyday life is and made it so simple for us! My daughter’s case was resolved in less than a year, the settlement was above and beyond what we expected.Thanks to Robert Lantzy my daughter will get the medical care she needs for future surgeries and we could not have done it without him! If you want your case handled with respect and promptness then I couldn’t recommend anyone better than Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C.
When I was attacked and bitten by a dog, I did not know where to turn. I eventually spoke with attorney Bob Lantzy at Buckfire & Buckfire.Bob was friendly and professional. Bob guided me through the process of making my claim. He always kept me informed and was available to take my telephone calls personally or returned my calls promptly.Bob and Buckfire & Buckfire exceeded my expectations for handling and settling my case. They resolved my case in a short period of time.I would highly recommend Bob Lantzy and Buckfire & Buckfire to my family and friends.Thank you for everything,
- 29000 Inkster Road
Southfield, MI 48034
- Phone: (248) 595-7544
- 19 Clifford St.
Suite 805 Merchants Row
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 992-8281
- 1001 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 777-8482
- 343 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Phone: (734) 888-3003
- 51424 Van Dyke Ave
Shelby Township, MI 48316
- Phone: (586) 250-2626