Our car accident attorneys regularly win our clients among the highest car accident settlements in Michigan every year. Unlike other law firms, our goal is not to get as many cases as possible and churn them out for quick settlements. Instead, we limit the number of cases we accept and focus on cases involving serious injuries and wrongful death. This allows us to spend more time helping the people that need our skill, experience, and expertise the most.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Settle My Car Accident Case?
While you do not need an accident lawyer to settle your car crash injury claim, you should be aware of many serious mistakes that you can make without an experienced attorney on your side.
First, the insurance adjuster may not disclose all of the insurance policies or limits that might apply to your claim. As a result, you will never know the total amount of insurance money available to pay your claim. Our attorneys will track down all possible coverage to make sure you get everything you deserve.
Second, you may also not know the real value of your case and this could result in you settling for substantially less money than you could receive otherwise.
Third, there are potential liens you might be responsible for paying back out of your Michigan car accident settlement. Health insurance companies and Medicare may claim a portion of your settlement and if you did not plan for this payback, you could be left with little or nothing.
Finally, you could be jeopardizing your no-fault insurance benefits by signing a Release when you settle your liability claim. This could have devastating consequences including forfeiting payment of medical expenses, lost wages, and other benefits.
In the end, insurance studies show that victims typically receive more money when they have a lawyer even after paying the attorney’s fees. It is possible to go it alone, but not always a wise move.
What is the Average Car Accident Settlement?
There is no “average car accident settlement amount” and every case is different. This would be similar to asking “what is the average house price?” and this would lead to dozens of other questions to narrow down a possible price range. Our attorneys will determine the proper compensation amount for your case, which is really the only one that you should care about anyways.
How Much are Car Accident Settlement Amounts?
Many factors used to determine the amount of a car crash settlement. Recoverable damages include the seriousness and permanence of the injuries, as well as the effect of the injuries on the victim’s life. Cases involving traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and wrongful death often result in the highest amounts.
Other factors include the length of medical treatment, the amount of lost income, and the insurance policy coverage available for the accident.
Additional questions to consider include:
- Who was at fault for a car accident?
- Did the injured person miss time from work due to their injuries?
- What type of auto insurance did the negligent driver have at the time of the crash?
- Were other types of coverage, like uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage, in existence at the time of the accident?
- Did the owner of the car involved in the wreck have an insurance policy?
- Does the injured person have any permanent restrictions or limitations?
- How much pain and suffering did you have from your injuries?
- Who is the lawyer representing a claimant in their case?
Do I Pay Taxes for a Car Accident Settlement?
In general, settlements for physical injuries are not taxable by the IRS or state taxing agencies. Compensation for pain and suffering and emotional distress are not taxable if they were caused by a physical injury. You should always discuss your settlement with your tax preparer just to verify that you do not have to report your settlement for tax purposes.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Settlement from a Car Crash?
Of course, the length of time that it takes to get paid a car injury settlement is different in every case. Some cases, for example, may settle quickly because the injuries are substantial and the insurance policy limit is low. Therefore, the adjuster simply pays the entire policy right away. However, many cases could take up to a year or more to get a settlement check after an accident because the victim is still recovering and the future effects of the injuries are unknown.
In most cases, a person should receive their settlement check within thirty days of signing the Settlement Release Agreement and sending it back to the insurance adjuster or defense attorney. Cases involving minor children or wrongful death may take slightly longer because a court hearing must be held to have the settlement approved by the judge.
More Examples of Settlements for Auto Accidents in Michigan
- $15,000,000 auto negligence settlement. A passenger of slow-moving farm equipment was injured when another motor vehicle rear-ended it. The passenger became a quadriplegic and suffered spinal cord injuries, closed-head injuries, and seizures.
- $7,000,000 fatal car accident settlement. A passenger was killed in an Oakland County car accident due to the negligence of the at-fault driver.
- $6,872,931 jury verdict. A passenger was injured in a Dearborn car accident when it was rear-ended by another vehicle. The passenger suffered post-concussive syndrome, rotator cuff tears, and a cervical disc herniation which required surgery.
- $5,000,000 auto negligence settlement. A passenger was injured in an Interstate 475 collision when a semi-truck drove through the median and struck the passenger head-on. The passenger suffered from major orthopedic, brain, and internal injuries.
- $2,325,000 auto crash jury verdict. Two passengers were injured in a car accident when a propane trailer struck their vehicle. The passengers suffered from traumatic brain injury, foot fractures, and pelvic fractures requiring a hip replacement.
- $1,750,000 settlement in an auto accident lawsuit. A passenger was injured when the driver of a pickup truck ran a stop sign and turned left into oncoming traffic. The passenger suffered from a fractured spine and ribs.
- $1,500,000 third-party Macomb County auto accident settlement. The passenger suffered extensive injuries and long-term disability.
- $1,000,000 auto injury settlement. A truck driver was injured in a T-bone auto accident by another driver and suffered permanently disabling injuries, including a disc herniation which required surgery.
- $925,000 St. Claire rear-end accident settlement. The vehicle and passengers sustained serious and permanent damages in the rear-end crash.
- $525,000 settlement for Detroit motorist struck on highway shoulder. A car driver was struck by a negligent motorist swerving into the shoulder of a highway, causing major injuries and vehicle damage.
What is My Case Worth?
If you were injured in accident and want to know what your case is worth, contact our award-winning attorneys today to discuss your case. We will listen to your story and explain how we can help you win the highest possible settlement using the factors that determine the right compensation amount.
Because there is no settlement calculator, we use our experience in handling cases over the last fifty years. We know how much cases are worth and we make every possible effort to maximize your award.
Our Lawyers Will Help You Get a Top Settlement
Our legal team will fully investigate your case and do everything needed to prove who was at fault for causing the crash. This includes getting the police accident report, interviewing witnesses, and hiring accident investigators and reconstruction experts to prove how the accident happened. We will also get all of your medical records and other records to show how you were injured and damaged by the accident.
Our lawyers will then put together a settlement demand package to present to the insurance company. If the adjuster is unwilling to pay a fair settlement amount, we will file a lawsuit and press forward to win you the maximum possible compensation.
We provide a fee case consultation and if you choose us as your attorneys, we do not charge any fees until you get a settlement. Contact us today to get started on your case.
How Much Are Michigan Car Accident Settlements Worth?Our accident injury attorneys rely on our skills and experience to try to win our clients the highest possible settlements. We settle a majority of our cases for the maximum amount before they go to court. Below are examples of car injury cases handled by our law firm:
Lansing area woman who suffered a brain injury in an accident on I-96.
In a Shiawassee County fatal accident involving a car driven by a car dealership employee.
Woman who suffered spinal cord injury in a Detroit car accident that caused paralysis.
Against a negligent driver for hitting a bicyclist in a Detroit suburb.
In an Eaton County, Michigan wrongful death settlement.
In St. Clair County for a woman who suffered serious injuries in a car accident.
For an I-94 auto accident near Ann Arbor.
For a Detroit man who suffered a fractured pelvis from in a highway shoulder accident.
- 29000 Inkster Road
Southfield, MI 48034
- Phone: (248) 595-7544
- 19 Clifford St.
Suite 805 Merchants Row
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 992-8281
- 1001 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 777-8482
- 343 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Phone: (734) 888-3003
- 51424 Van Dyke Ave
Shelby Township, MI 48316
- Phone: (586) 250-2626