If you were injured in a crash with a motorist who fled the scene, you might be suffering from severe injuries and unsure of your legal options. Furthermore, any required operation or rehabilitation period might leave you with an inability to work, despite a pile of medical bills.

While no-fault insurance benefits might help to help to alleviate your financial strain from lost wages, medical bills, and other associated costs, you might still need additional compensation to cover the full extent of your losses. However, pursuing additional recovery alone might prove difficult.

Instead of considering your legal options alone, a lawyer well-practiced with claims based on hit-and-run car accidents in Michigan might be able to help. A skilled attorney might be able to investigate the circumstances of a crash and work to build a claim that suits your needs.

Insurance Payments Following a Hit-and-Run Crash

Michigan’s no-fault insurance means that the victim of a crash is able to recover some form of compensation.  Essentially, almost every person injured in this type of accident is entitled to no fault insurance benefits, even if you did not own a car or have an auto insurance policy.  This applies to drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and even bicyclists.

Furthermore, uninsured motorist coverage may be another option to recover compensation related to a person’s injuries or damages after the other driver flees the scene.  A lawyer who is familiar with these incidents will explore all possible insurance claims and explain the legal avenues available to any person injured in a crash with a fleeing driver.

Filing a Civil Lawsuit Against a Fleeing Driver

Michigan law requires that a driver involved in an accident stops and remains at the scene. Unfortunately, many people panic after being in a collision and flee from the scene before sharing relevant identifying information at the site of the accident.

As a result, criminal charges might apply for this offense, as well as the potential for a civil lawsuit filed by an innocent driver who was hurt in the accident. However, for a successful civil claim, an injured claimant must be able to prove that the fleeing driver was also at fault for the crash.

If a fleeing motorist is caught and convicted for a criminal charge, this might help to bolster a civil claim on the basis of negligence. However, even if a driver is not found guilty of a criminal offense, they might still be held civilly liable to compensate an injured claimant for their losses. A well-versed Michigan attorney might work tirelessly with a person injured in a hit-and-run car crash to gather evidence and file a suitable claim.

The Statute of Limitations in Michigan

Any injured driver seeking compensation against a negligent and fleeing driver should be aware of the statute of limitations in Michigan. According to Michigan Compiled Laws §600.5805, an injured motorist has three years from the date of their injury in which to take legal action.

The time deadlines for filing no-fault insurance claims and uninsured motorist claims are much shorter than the general three-year limitations period.  Also, many insurance policies require that a written police report be made within twenty-four hours after the accident to be eligible for an uninsured motorist claim for a hit and run accident.

Consult with an Attorney After a Michigan Hit-and-Run Car Crash

When a negligent driver causes a crash and then flees the scene, you should not be left to pay for medical bills and missed work without compensation. By working with a dedicated who is used to handling Michigan hit-and-run car accident claims, you could have help to assess your legal options and decide how to best proceed with an insurance claim or civil lawsuit.

Because of the important deadlines that exist in Michigan, the sooner you begin working on a claim, the more time you will have to gather evidence and build a thorough case. To learn more, call the Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.

Our No Fee Promise No Legal Fees Until You Settle or Win