Were you or a loved one injured in an accident? Call a Southgate personal injury lawyer for help today.
Unfortunately, thousands of accidents happen each year in Michigan. If you were injured, you can benefit from the assistance of a skilled attorney.
The lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. can work to get you the compensation you deserve.
Let Buckfire Law Help You
For over 50 years, we have been representing our clients in all types of car accident personal injury cases.
By treating each and every client with integrity and dedication, we have been awarded with countless recognition since 1969. These include:
- Best Attorneys in America
- Top Michigan Personal Injury Lawyer
- The Best Lawyers in America
- U.S. News Best Law Firms
- The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Multi-Million Dollars Advocates Forum
We handle personal injury cases in Southgate and throughout the State of Michigan.
When Should I Call a Southgate Personal Injury Lawyer?
It can be tough to know what to do after being hurt in an accident, especially if you were not responsible for causing it.
Fortunately, our personal injury law firm can explain your options to you and guide you through whatever legal action you choose to pursue. Once you retain a Southgate personal injury lawyer, you have a dedicated advocate on your side that will tirelessly work to protect your rights and best interests.
What Kinds of Injury Cases Does Buckfire Law Handle?
- Nursing home abuse
- Injuries on another person’s property
- Sexual abuse
- Injuries during childbirth
- Dog attacks
- Pedestrian injuries
- Accidents during travel
- Recreational accidents
- Worksite injuries
- Fatal accidents
No matter the circumstances of your case, the lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. can handle your case with skill and dedication.
What are Recoverable Damages in Southgate?
Losses in a personal injury case can typically be categorized as either economic or non-economic. Economic damages are those with an objective dollar value, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Lost work wages
- Loss earning potential due to long-term injury
- Repair and replacement costs for damaged personal property
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Costs for travel to and from doctor’s appointments and physical therapy sessions
On the other hand, non-economic damages are more subjective.
Their value is determined on a case-by-case basis, based on an individual plaintiff’s experiences and losses. These damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Physical pain
- Emotional anguish
- Consequences of psychological disorders like PTSD
- Long-term impact of a disability or disfigurement
- Loss of consortium with a spouse
- Loss of personal and/or professional opportunities
- Loss of enjoyment of life
A skilled personal in Southgate could help you calculate what damages may be available in your personal injury claim.
Call a Southgate Car Accident Lawyer for Help
At Buckfire Law Firm, our car accident lawyers handle all types of motor vehicle crash claims in Southgate, including:
- Car crashes
- Motorbike accidents
- Tractor-trailer and 18-wheeler collisions
- Pedestrians being struck by cars
- Cycling wrecks
- Drunk driving incidents
According to data compiled by the Michigan State Police, Wayne County had more total car accidents—and more car accidents resulting in injuries and/or fatalities—than any other Michigan county in 2018.
Within Wayne County, plenty of major Southgate roads see such incidents happen all the time. These include major roads and highways, such as:
- Dix-Toledo Highway
- Eureka Road
- Northline Road
Truck, Bus, and Motorcycle Crashes in Southgate
Our Southgate car accident lawyers help clients with any number of motor vehicle crash claims.
Each type of auto accident has its own legal nuances. For example, cases involving commercial truck or bus drivers are different from those involving civilian motorcyclists.
On the other hand, if a mechanical failure is the direct cause of a crash, a skilled Southgate lawyer may be able to hold the manufacturing company responsible.
No matter the circumstances of an auto accident, an injured claimant can have help with each step from a knowledgeable attorney from our firm.
What to Do After Medical Malpractice
Whether someone receives treatment at the Southgate campus of the Oakwood Health Center, or at one of the many other hospitals and clinics around the area, being able to trust the doctors and nurses providing care is essential.
Any failure by a healthcare provider to live up to the medical standard of care may be grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit in Southgate.
If you suspect your injuries were caused by the negligent care of a medical professional, you should reach out to a Southgate medical malpractice lawyer for help.
Filing a malpractice claim can be difficult on your own. Malpractice cases differ from many other personal injury claims and require special notices to be filed.
As a result, it is often crucial to work with an experienced attorney at our firm for each step of your case.
Our attorneys can get your medical records and review them thoroughly. We can also work with medical experts to determine if you have a claim.
Dog Bite Statutes and Regulations in Southgate
If someone is bitten by a dog in Southgate, they can file a claim for compensation. All dog owners in Michigan have legal liability for any injuries their dog causes.
Southgate has its own ordinances for dog bite cases. These include:
- Dog owners cannot allow dogs older than four months in age roam free within city limits
- Southgate residents cannot keep dogs that frequently and viciously bark at other people, have been bitten by a rabid animal, or have themselves bitten another person
- A dangerous dog is defined as one which causes serious injury to another person, or to another dog or domesticated animal that is on its owner’s property
- Dog bites from licensed dogs are punishable by a $100 fine ($250 if the dog is unlicensed), and bites resulting in serious injury are punishable by a $500 fine ($1,000 if the dog is unlicensed)
If you or a loved one was bitten or injured by a canine, reach out to our Southgate dog bite lawyers for help today. Our skilled attorneys can work to file a claim on your behalf.
Preventing Abuse and Neglect in Southgate Nursing Homes
If you suspect your elderly loved one has suffered neglect while living in a care facility, you should contact a Southgate nursing home abuse lawyer for help.
All residents living in a care facility have rights, outlined in MCL §333.20201 and known as the Patient Bill of Rights.
This statute sets out everything nursing homes and assisted living facilities in Southgate must provide for their patients, including:
- Reasonable privacy and confidentiality
- Appropriate medical care, as well as the right to refuse care
- Freedom from religious, racial, gender, or sex discrimination
- Clean living conditions and proper nutrition
- Freedom to manage their own financial affairs
- Freedom to exercise religious and civil liberties
- The ability to file complaints about their treatment by facility staff members and administrators
Anyone who suspects mistreatment in a Michigan nursing home can notify the proper authorities through any of the following hotlines:
- Attorney General’s Office: 1-800-24-ABUSE (1-800-242-2873)
- Michigan Protection and Advocacy Service, Inc.: 1-800-288-5923
- Bureau of Health Services: 1-800-882-6006
What Are the Deadlines for Filing a Personal Injury Claim?
If you were injured in Michigan, it is critical to understand the time limits placed on filing personal injury claims.
While there are exceptions, most personal injury cases in Southgate are subject to a three-year deadline. This includes car accident cases against for personal injury damages, but no-fault insurance lawsuits are limited to one year. The three-year timeframe holds true for dog attack cases, slip and fall lawsuits, and many other cases based on standard negligence.
However, exceptions include nursing home abuse and medical malpractice claims, which have a two-year time limit.
While other exceptions exist, it is important for anyone looking to file a personal injury claim to understand the statute of limitations.
By contacting a skilled lawyer as soon as possible after an injury, a potential claimant can avoid missing critical deadlines in their case.
Contact a Southgate Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you were injured due to another person’s negligence, contact a Southgate personal injury lawyer at our firm today.
The time immediately after an injury can be chaotic and overwhelming. By enlisting the help of a skilled attorney, you can focus on your recovery.
Our team of legal professional can assist you with each step of a claim and demand the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
To learn more, contact Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. today.
Information About Southgate
Southgate is a city in Wayne County, Michigan with a population of 30,136 people spread across 12,836 households. It was previously part of the Ecorse Township, which is now defunct. Southgate was officially incorporated as a city in 1958.
Home to the headquarters of the News-Herald, a local newspaper serving the Detroit suburbs, Southgate also houses the Southgate Shopping Center and several other big-name retailers. Major employers in the Southgate area include:
- Southgate Community School District
- American Sunroof
- City of Southgate
- Sam’s Club
- National City Bank
Southgate Legal Resources
- Southgate Police Department
- Request a Crash Report
- Southgate Fire Department
- Southgate Medical Group, PLLC
- Southgate Medical Center
- Downriver Select Special Hospitals
- Beaumont Medical Center — Southgate
- Downriver Central Animal Control
- Wayne County Medical Examiner
- Wayne County Health, Human, and Veterans Services
- 29000 Inkster Road
Southfield, MI 48034
- Phone: (248) 595-7544
- 19 Clifford St.
Suite 805 Merchants Row
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 992-8281
- 1001 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 777-8482
- 343 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Phone: (734) 888-3003
- 51424 Van Dyke Ave
Shelby Township, MI 48316
- Phone: (586) 250-2626