Suffering a personal injury can be traumatizing. After, it is often difficult for people to focus on their recovery while also navigating the legal process to pursue compensation. Our Michigan personal injury lawyers understand that you probably have many questions if you or a loved one has been injured because of another person’s negligence.

We try to answer many of these questions below to help guide you in the initial steps of your personal injury case process. Some common questions we get asked include:

  • How do you calculate injuries for a claim?
  • What is the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit?
  • How is liability determined after an accident?
  • How do you find the right lawyer for your Michigan personal injury case?
  • What damages can be recovered in a claim?

…And many other frequently asked questions!

Get the Answers You Need after a Personal Injury in Michigan

Personal injury claims arise more often than most people think. They can occur as a result of car accidents, bicycle accidents, accidents involving pedestrians, defective products, and many more.

No the matter the circumstances, filing a personal injury claim is a complex process that involves many steps, so it is important to work with an experienced personal injury attorney in Michigan that can guide you through the legal process and answer all of your questions.

Of course, you probably have specific questions relevant to your situation that require the attention of an attorney who has experience in these types of cases. Do not hesitate to reach out to the attorneys at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. today to discuss your case and schedule a free consultation.

There is no specific injury that automatically qualifies as a “serious” injury and this is determined on a case basis. However, here are some examples of injuries that may qualify:

  • Fractured and broken bones
  • Back injuries and neck injuries (herniated and bulging discs)
  • Nerve damage
  • Injuries that require surgery or substantial treatment
  • Closed head and traumatic brain injuries
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Psychological injuries, like depression and post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Injuries which cause disability from work and other daily activities

Typically, your mother can either sue the building owner, the elevator company, or an elevator maintenance and repair company depending on the reasons for the elevator malfunction. On some occasions, she can sue them all if they are all to blame for the accident.

Until the investigation into the cause of the Royal Oak gas explosion is determined, it is too early to tell whether claims and lawsuits for injuries and property damage can be filed against Consumers Energy. If it is determined that Consumers Energy was at fault for the gas explosion due to defective equipment or negligence by its employees, then it most likely will be possible to file claims against the gas company. These claims can include compensation for personal injuries and property damage caused by the gas explosion.

If you suffered injuries or property damage from the Royal Oak home explosion, there are certain things that you can do now to preserve your best chance of recovering damages once the cause of the explosion is determined. These include taking photographs of any damaged property, taking videotape of your home and damaged property, making a list of all of your damaged property, and keeping receipts for all of your incidental expenses resulting from the explosion. These expenses might include hotel expenses, food expenses, cleaning expenses, and other money you spent as a direct result of the explosion. This information will provide the best documentation of your losses.

Under the Michigan No-Fault law, the insurance company is obligated for modifications to an existing home to accommodate the needs of a spinal cord injury patient if the injuries were suffered in an auto accident. This would include ramps, wider doorways, special showers and tubs, and other home modifications. If modifications cannot be done at the victim’s residence, the insurance company must re-locate them to another residence with accommodations.

Finding the best lawyer in Michigan for a spinal cord injury lawsuit can be difficult task. When looking to hire an attorney after your Michigan spinal cord injury, you may want to ask the attorney the following questions:

  • What percentage of your practice is devoted to handling serious injury claims?
  • Have you ever written a book on spinal cord injury cases?
  • Do you have a website with information on the different types of spinal cord injury cases?
  • Have you ever taken a spinal cord injury case to trial and won a verdict for your client?
  • What kinds of settlements have you received for your clients?

Yes, if the injury arose out of the accident and the brain injury treatment is necessary and reasonable.

Yes. Car accident victims who have been diagnosed and treated for trauamatic brain injuries and closed head injuries can sue the negligent driver that caused the accident for money damages. You can also claim Michigan No-Fault Insurance benefits from your own automobile insurance company to pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, attendant care benefits, and other benefits.

It is important that your Michigan brain injury lawyer have significant experience in handling traumatic brain injury and closed head injury cases. Your attorney must completely understand the science and medicine behind brain injuries to effectively represent you in your case. Several lawyers at our firm are members of the Michigan Brain Injury Association and all of our lawyers regularly handle brain injury cases.

This depends on how the traumatic brain injury (TBI) has affected your ability to lead your normal life and how long it has done so. Every case is different, but factors to consider include the length of your disability, the type of treatment, and the things that you have been unable to do or do differently as a result of the accident. Our Michigan brain injury lawyers regularly obtain significant settlements for our clients with mild traumatic brain injuries (MTBI).

Under Michigan law, there are certain injury threshholds that must be met before you can sue a negligent driver for money damages. If you have been diagnosed with a closed head injury or traumatic brain injury and this has affected your normal way of life, you can sue the negligent driver for your injuries and damages.

Finding the best lawyer in Michigan for a brain injury lawsuit can be difficult task. When looking to hire an attorney after your Michigan brain injury, you may want to ask the attorney the following questions:

  • What percentage of your practice is devoted to handling serious injury claims?
  • Have you ever written a book on brain injury cases?
  • Do you have a website with information on the different types of brain injury cases?
  • Have you ever taken a brain injury case to trial and won a verdict for your client?
  • What kinds of settlements have you received for your clients?

To find the best personal injury lawyer in Michigan for your case, you need to know the questions to ask before you choose your attorney for your case. Click here to learn the questions that you must ask a Michigan personal injury lawyer.

Yes, but you should know that the appeals process is designed to favor the insurance company. If your policy was issued through your employer, it is known as an ERISA policy and there are strict procedural requirements for filing a lawsuit.

Yes. Victims of police abuse and police misconduct can file civil suits against police departments and police officers for their injuries if excessive force is used and causes injuries. This includes excessive physical force, which amounts to an assault, and the improper use of weapons, like guns and tasers.

In Michigan, a person injured by a defective product must generally file a lawsuit within 3 years under the statute of limitations. If you fail to meet that deadline, your case will be destroyed forever and you cannot sue for your injuries. It is essential that you contact an experienced Michigan accident and injury lawyer as soon as possible so that you do not lose your rights to a fair settlement.

In most cases you must file the administrative claim in writing with the appropriate Federal agency (using the appropriate forms and paperwork) within two years after the accident or injury. The federal agency then has six months to investigate. During that time the agency may deny the claim early, or try to negotiate a settlement for the personal injury case. At any time the agency denies the claim in writing sent by certified or registered mail, the next step is to file suit in federal court. If the 6 months expires and the agency still has not denied the claim or setttled with you, you are free to consider it a denial and file the claim in Federal court anyway.

The Federal Tort Claims Act specifies that before a suit for damages may be filled in federal court, the claimant must present the claim in writing to the appropriate federal agency and follow certain procedural rules while the agency investigates your allegations and considers whether to settle or deny your claim. The procedures for this are different depending on which federal agency is involved.

There may or may not be an opportunity to negotiate for a settlement of the case during the administrative review process, or after suit is filed and before a trial. Settlement discussions depend on how well the claim is presented and how the involved agency feels about the claim. If the case actually goes to a trial though, it will be a jury trial; your case must be tried in front of a United States Federal District Court Judge, who will decide all disputed issues, and decide how much in money damages to award, if any.