Our Michigan nursing home lawyers file cases related to the neglect and abuse of residents in skilled nursing homes.  We also sue assisted living facilities and adult foster care homes (AFC Homes) on behalf of residents who suffered serious injury and even death while residing in a home.

What is a LARA complaint?

When a resident suffers serious injury or harm, a facility is required to file a report with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).  The purpose the complaint is to determine if an investigation of the facility is necessary for possible violations of state and federal certifications requirements.  The State of Michigan takes these complaints very seriously.

How do I file a nursing home complaint with LARA Michigan?

There are three ways to file a LARA report with the State of Michigan.  You can:

  1. Use the online form to file your complaint.
  2. File the complaint form by mail, fax, or e-mail.
  3. Call the Complaint Hotline at 800-882-6006 and make your report.

You can file your complaint against an assisted living facility and AFC home the same w

Who does the investigation?

The State of Michigan has a team of investigators who mobilize after a complaint is filed.  These investigators are highly trained and have a strong understanding of the rules and regulations that pertain to nursing homes, assisting living facilities, and AFC homes.  They perform detailed investigations and document all issues and violations at the facility.

What happens if violations are found against the facility?

When violations are noted, the health facility is often afforded the opportunity to make corrections to return to full compliance.  There are occasions when the investigation results in recommendation to close the facility or suspend operations in the event of serious violations.

How do I get a copy of my LARA Complaint report?

You can request a copy directly from the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs after the investigation is completed.  A copy is also sent directly to the nursing home or other facility.

Can a LARA investigation report be used in a lawsuit?

Our experienced attorneys obtain these reports during our investigation of a neglect and abuse claim.  The investigations include interviews with facility staff and employees, reviews of policies and procedures, and an examination of the medical records and other patient materials.

The investigation reports often provide us with the basis for pursuing a negligence case or a wrongful death lawsuit.  The reports may be introduced into evidence at a civil trial and can provide the basis or suing the facility for monetary compensation.  However, many cases are filed even without the benefit of a LARA report as the evidence can be found in the resident chart and other records.

What are the common reasons for suing a nursing home in Michigan?

There are many reasons that a nursing home can be sued in Michigan.  The same is true for an adult foster care home and an assisted living facility.  The most common reasons include:

  • Unsupervised falls resulting in serious injuries
  • Bed sores and pressure ulcers
  • Choking on food and other items
  • Infections and sepsis
  • Residents wandering away, or eloping, from the facility
  • Burns due to scalding water and hot drinks
  • Sexual assaults by staff and other residents
  • Wrongful death

What is the compensation amount for a case?

Compensation payouts are different in every case.  The settlement amount depends on the type of violations committed and the harm suffered by the resident.  In addition, the amount of medical bills and expenses, as well as future care, are factored into the settlement amount.

For cases involving death, the surviving family members can file a wrongful death claim.  These lawsuits demand compensation for pain and suffering of the decedent prior to death as well as for the loss of companionship resulting to the family members from the loss of a loved one.

How do I start my claim with a lawyer?

You can start your claim by contacting our office by phone or submitting the online case review form.  You can also text us or chat with us through our website.  We respond very quickly to all case inquiries and take each one very seriously.

If you filed a LARA complaint and received the report, it is helpful if you can provide that to us after the initial contact.  If you filed a LARA complaint and did not receive the report, we will get it for you and then provide a copy for your review.

The Buckfire Law firm is the leader in Michigan nursing home neglect and abuse lawsuits.  We have won top settlements and jury verdicts for our clients.  We do not charge any fees unless you win a settlement and we only get paid after the case has settled.  And, we pay all case costs and expenses.

Awards and Accolades
Our No Fee Promise No Legal Fees Until You Settle or Win