Birth injuries can have a devastating impact on both a child and family. Lawsuits seeking compensation for harm to a baby before, during, and after the time of birth often result in substantial settlements. These settlements are intended to provide enough compensation to help parents take care of their child from infancy through the rest of their life.
What Is The Amount Of A Birth Injury Settlement?
The settlement amount depends on a number of factors. These are determined on a case by case basis as no two are exactly the same. Some of the factors used to calculate the settlement include the:
- Severity of the injury to the baby, such as brain damage, paraplegia, and other conditions
- Permanency of the injuries and how they will affect the baby over time
- Type and amount of medical treatment needed over the lifetime
- Costs and expenses associated with lifetime medical care
- Prescription needs and costs for all medical conditions
- Financial hardships imposed on the family for caring for the child
- Educational and other special needs for the child
- Housing and transportation costs for the child
- Need for supervision and monitoring of the child at all times
In most cases, our birth injury attorneys hire a doctor, nurse, and life care planner to project the current and future needs of the child. They develop a plan accounts for all costs associated with raising the child and then the needs when the child enters adulthood. We also hire an economist to calculate the lifetime costs, including inflation and interest rates.
Our Michigan Birth Injury Settlements
- $7,530,000 Settlement for a child who suffered permanent blindness in Detroit.
- $6,500,000 Settlement for a young boy with brain damage from over-sedation after birth
- $3,000,000 Settlement for a baby who suffered a brain injury due to the failure to properly read fetal monitoring strips.
- $3,500,000 Settlement for a child who died from an undiagnosed brain bleed after birth
- $3,000,000 Settlement for child who suffered severe injury from a vacuum extractor.
- $1,900,000 Settlement for a child who suffered birth trauma during delivery.
Examples of Other Michigan Birth Injury Settlements
- $6,000,000 settlement for a premature baby who suffered hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) and spastic quadriplegia during surgery
- $5,850,000 settlement against a Michigan hospital, doctors, and nurses for failure to treat high bilirubin which resulted in a newborn’s brain damage.
- $4,375,000 settlement for a child who suffered severe birth-related hypoxic ischemic brain injuries. The child incurred neurological injuries because of a nurse’s professional negligence.
- $3,575,000 birth injury settlement due to the delay in performing a C-section. The baby developed spastic quadriplegia and cerebral palsy due to the delay.
- $2,750,000 HIE settlement in a birth injury malpractice lawsuit. The baby was born with cerebral palsy when health care providers failed to take the proper precautions for a mother with a history of growth-restricted pregnancies. The negligent failure to properly monitor fetal development resulted in intrauterine growth restriction, hypoxia-ischemia, and infection causing severe brain damage.
- $2,000,000 settlement in a birth injury lawsuit for a baby who suffered permanent brain damage due to undiagnosed Strep B in utero
How Does the Settlement Money Get Paid?
Settlement funds in a birth injury case are usually paid in two ways. First, there may be a lump sum of money to take care of the present needs of the child and pay for past medical bills. The funds can be used to secure appropriate housing and other expenses, as well as to assist the parents in raising the child. The court may require some type of oversight for the use of a portion of these funds.
Other settlement funds are often placed into a structured annuity insurance policy. This policy is designed by a planner, along with the parents and attorney, to provide regular payments to the family and child over many years. This helps provide the parents with comfort that their child will have necessary funds and be cared for even when they are no longer able to do it.
Contact our Birth Injury Settlement Lawyers
Our experienced attorneys are available now to personally evaluate your child’s case and let you know the likelihood of getting a top birth injury settlement. Call us now for your free, no-obligation case review to speak to a lawyer. We charge no legal fees unless there is a settlement.
Larry Buckfire’s greatest concern was the future financial security of my child and I am grateful for his efforts. I would tell anybody who is unsure, embarrassed about the situation, or just distraught, to come to Larry because he knows how to take care of these problems. He knows how to ensure a future for your child, and that’s what matters.
Families of injured children hire Larry Buckfire to represent their injured child for three (3) reasons. First, without question, Larry is among the elite child injury lawyers in the United States of America, and is clearly the leader in the State of Michigan. He has recovered millions of dollars for injured children time after time.Second, Larry gives each child’s case his own personal attention from start to finish. While he does work with a skilled team of lawyers and child injury experts, when Larry Buckfire makes a commitment to represent your child, he personally handles the case until the very end – and knows your child’s case inside and out. Unlike some law firms, your case will never get handed off to an associate – Larry sees it through to the end.And, third, Larry Buckfire makes sure that your injured child is taken care of forever. He has been at the forefront of planning to make sure injured children have their settlements protected, and their financial needs met for the rest of their lives – not only so the child will be cared for properly, but also so that the families can relax and focus their energy on what’s important, which is loving their injured child. Your injured child, and your family, would be fortunate to have Larry Buckfire on your side.
I would highly recommend the law firm of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. to the parents of any injured children to anyone searching for a top medical malpractice lawyer in Michigan.
- 29000 Inkster Road
Southfield, MI 48034
- Phone: (248) 595-7544
- 19 Clifford St.
Suite 805 Merchants Row
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 992-8281
- 1001 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 777-8482
- 343 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Phone: (734) 888-3003
- 51424 Van Dyke Ave
Shelby Township, MI 48316
- Phone: (586) 250-2626