The Disability Scholarship was established in 2014 as part of the law firm’s commitment to helping students with disabilities or injuries who are in need of financial assistance for education purposes.
The scholarship is available to students of any age, with any type of disability, including but not limited to physical disabilities, medical conditions, mental or psychiatric conditions, speech and language, learning disabilities, behavioral conditions, and all other conditions.
The scholarship will award $1,000 to one student selected by our scholarship selection committee.
Disability Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Recipient is a U.S. citizen enrolled at an accredited college or university within the United States
- Has a disability diagnosis from any person qualified to make a diagnosis
- Completed at least one semester of classes at an accredited college or university.
Disability Scholarship Applications Requirements
In order to apply for the Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. 2019 Disability Scholarship Program an applicant must submit the following items on or before October 1, 2020:
- A completed scholarship application form. (Located at the bottom of page)
- A one-page typed essay describing how you overcame adversity caused by your disability and what you learned from that experience.
- An official or unofficial transcript from an accredited college or university that includes your most recent semester
- Diagnosis documentation of the disability from a person qualified to make a diagnosis.
2019 Disability Scholarship Winner: Zoe Grisez, University of Denver
Born in Norway where her parents were both stationed in the military. They moved to Colorado shortly after she was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy in 2002. SMA is a degenerative neuromuscular disease that affects all voluntary muscle control to include breathing and swallowing. It does not affect cognitive functions. She has used a wheelchair since the age of 14 months and she needs help with all of her activities for daily living. She attended Discovery Canyon Campus High School where she graduated as a part of National Honor Society, National English Honor Society, and National Thespian Society and Summa Cum Laude honors. Her volunteer work includes both state level and local level Goodwill Ambassador for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and Ambassador for Children’s Hospital Colorado Foundation – both organizations have had major impacts on her life.
Past Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. Disability Scholarship Winners
- 29000 Inkster Road
Southfield, MI 48034
- Phone: (248) 595-7544
- 19 Clifford St.
Suite 805 Merchants Row
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 992-8281
- 1001 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 777-8482
- 343 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Phone: (734) 888-3003
- 51424 Van Dyke Ave
Shelby Township, MI 48316
- Phone: (586) 250-2626