The Buckfire Law Scholarship Committee is currently accepting applications for the 2020 Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. Law School Diversity Scholarship.
The scholarship was created in 2013 as part of the law firm’s commitment to helping law students who are in need of financial assistance achieve their academic and professional dreams.
In order to be considered for the scholarship, the student must be a member of an ethnic, racial, or other minority, or demonstrate a commitment to issues of diversity within their community.
The scholarship will award $2,000 to one student selected by our scholarship selection committee.
Law School Diversity Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Recipient is a member of an ethnic or racial minority or any individual who demonstrates a defined commitment to issues of diversity within their academic career.
- Recipient is a U.S. citizen currently attending an accredited law school within the United States.
- Academic achievement as reflected by a minimum 3.0 GPA and have completed at least one semester of classes at an accredited law school.
Law School Diversity Scholarship Applications Requirements
In order to apply for the Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. 2020 Law School Diversity Scholarship Program an applicant must submit the following items on or before Oct. 1, 2020:
- A completed scholarship application form. (Located at the bottom of page)
- A one-page typed essay describing how you have utilized your time promoting ethnic diversity within your community. Alternatively, you may write about how you will use your law degree to promote ethnic diversity in the future.
- A certified, official copy of law school transcript.
2019 Law School Diversity Scholarship Winner: Yanna Banks, Penn State Law
Penn State Law third-year student Yanna Banks, who is on track to graduate May 2020, has served as the president of the Black Law Students Association at Penn State, and has been involved in the Law Lions ambassador program.
She was accepted into the Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society, and currently works at the Penn State’s Restorative Justice Institute, where she teaches legal literacy at the Centre County Correctional Facility and volunteers to lead a job skills workshop there as well.
“This award demonstrates that leaders and decision-makers at law firms understand that the lack of diversity is a systemic problem that they are taking affirmative steps to remedy,” Banks said.
Past Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. Law School Diversity Scholarship Winners
- 2019: Yanna Banks, Penn State Law School
- 2018: Sarah Camiscoli, Yale Law School
- 2017: Rachel McDuffie, Wayne State University Law School
- 2016: Effi Taylor, Villanova University School of Law
- 2015: Shoshana Brown, City University of New York Law School
- 2014: Jeffrey Garcia, University of Southern California Law School
- 2013: Tiffane King, University of California, Irvine School of Law
- 29000 Inkster Road
Southfield, MI 48034
- Phone: (248) 595-7544
- 19 Clifford St.
Suite 805 Merchants Row
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 992-8281
- 1001 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 777-8482
- 343 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Phone: (734) 888-3003
- 51424 Van Dyke Ave
Shelby Township, MI 48316
- Phone: (586) 250-2626