Michigan law provides several different sources of settlements for anyone injured in a drunk driving accident. You need the skill and experience of a top injury attorney to determine all potential claims so that you can maximize the settlement amount in your case. The attorneys at the Buckfire Law Firm regularly win the top settlements in auto accident cases every year and can help you.
Who Can You Sue for a Settlement in Drunk Driving Accident?
You can sue the following defendants to demand a settlement in a case caused by an intoxicated driver:
- Driver who was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash
- Owner of the vehicle driven by the drunk driver
- Employer of the driver if the person was driving a company car or working at the time
- Bar or any entity who served alcohol to the drunk driver through a Dram Shop claim
- An insurance company if there is uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage
If you were a passenger in a vehicle operated by an intoxicated driver, you can likely sue the person driving the car you were in as well as the other defendants listed above.
Our attorneys will investigate all possible sources to make sure you receive the maximum amount of damages available under Michigan law and through all insurance policies.
Do Insurance Companies Pay For Drunk Driving Crashes?
Generally, insurance companies pay settlements to people injured in a drunk driving accident. There is often multiple policies and defendants so many times a number of insurers will pay settlements to the victim of a crash. Some payments, like for medical expenses and lost wages, are paid by the appropriate no-fault insurance company which is often different that the liability insurance company.
How Much are Settlement Payouts?
Settlement payout amounts vary on a case by case basis. The amount of compensation paid to a victim or victim’s family depends on a number of factors. These include the:
- Seriousness on the injuries and type of medical treatment
- Physical pain and suffering of the victim
- Long term effects of the injuries
- Nature of scars and disfigurements
- Effect that the injuries had on the ability to work in the past and future
- Psychological and emotional damage suffered by the victim
- Amount of medical bills and lost wages
In cases involving a fatality caused by a DUI driver, the surviving family members can sue for the pain and suffering of the loved one, the loss of companionship caused by the death, and economic losses. These include lost income, loss of future earnings, funeral and burial expenses, and other damages.
Is There an “Average” Settlement for a Drunk Driving Accident?
There is no “average” settlement payout amount because the factors are unique to every case. The amount of insurance coverage available to pay the claims is also different in every case and has a huge effect on the total amount paid to the victim.
The Michigan attorney you choose to represent you is often the difference between you receiving a top settlement or none at all. You do not want an “average” settlement, but rather the highest possible settlement available to you for your case.
Examples of Our Drunk Driving Settlements
- $1,500,000 wrongful death settlement against a drunk driver and the bar that served her
- $1,000,000 settlement for a victims’ family killed in a Michigan drunk driving accident.
- $ 650,000 settlement for lawsuit filed by a husband and wife against a drunk driver that was driving an employer’s vehicle at the time of the accident. The victims suffered significant injuries in the accident, including a knee injury, hand injury, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- $500,000 settlement for a Lansing area woman struck by a drunk driver.
- $500,000 settlement for Iona County client who was severely injured by a driver whose blood alcohol was almost three times the legal limit.
- $450,000 settlement for a motorcyclist hit by a driver under the influence of alcohol
- $280,000 Detroit settlement for three clients who sustained serious injuries when their vehicle was struck by a drunk driver.
- $100,000 Michigan drunk driver crash settlement for a man who suffered severe orthopedic injuries in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.
- $100,000 pedestrian accident settlement against drunk driver for pedestrian injured after being struck by a drunk driver in Wayne County, Michigan.
Find Out What Your Case is Worth
To find out what your case is worth, contact our experienced injury legal firm today and speak with one our award-winning lawyers. We will listen to your story and tell you how we can help you win a great settlement. There are no legal fees whatsoever until you receive your settlement check and it costs absolutely nothing to start your case. Contact us now!
- 29000 Inkster Road
Southfield, MI 48034
- Phone: (248) 595-7544
- 19 Clifford St.
Suite 805 Merchants Row
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 992-8281
- 1001 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, MI 48226
- Phone: (313) 777-8482
- 343 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
- Phone: (734) 888-3003
- 51424 Van Dyke Ave
Shelby Township, MI 48316
- Phone: (586) 250-2626
By: Mike S.
Client Description: Great attorneys, great service at every level, a personal touch you don’t get from the guys on TV! Josie and Melanie are awesome!
Rating: ★★★★★ 5 / 5 stars