With an estimated population of 70 million dogs living in U.S. households, millions of people, largely children, are bitten by dogs every year, according to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation.
National Dog Bite Prevention Week, which takes place during the third full week of May each year, calls attention to dog attacks — one of the nation’s most commonly reported public health problems.
More than 4.5 million people are reportedly bitten by dogs each year in the U.S, including approximately 850,000 who require medical care. As a result, victims suffer more than $1 billion in total expenses every year.
Our Michigan dog bite lawyers represent victims of dog bite attacks. Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. experienced attorneys get compensation and settlements for victims in cases throughout the entire State of Michigan.
Our dog bite injury lawyers represent children, adults, postal workers, service providers and utility workers. We can help you if you or someone you care about suffered injuries in a dog attack.
Take this opportunity to check out the infographic below to learn more about dog bite prevention, and educate others, so we can all work together to prevent dog bites.
Infographic Courtesy Of UltimateHomeLife.com
How We Help You After a Dog Bite or Attack
Our dog bite injury attorneys will get the animal control reports, police reports, medical records, and medical bills. We then contact the insurance company for the dog owner to set up your claim. We will deal directly with the insurance adjuster to get your medical bills paid and you reimbursed for your out of pocket medical expenses.
We then negotiate with the insurance adjuster to get you the highest possible settlement for your case. If you do not receive a fair settlement offer, we file a dog bite lawsuit on your behalf. Suing for a dog bite doesn’t have to be difficult and we handle everything from start to finish. We will do everything to make this a stress free process for you.
Michigan Dog Bite Settlements & Compensation
There is no formula or guide to determine the amount of a dog bite settlement. The amount of a dog bite settlement award is determined from a number of factors, which include:
- The circumstances of the dog bite or attack
- The type of injuries suffered by the person bit by the dog
- The location of the injuries on the person bit by the dog (face, arms, legs, etc.)
- The amount of medical treatment needed by the victim and future medical treatment needed
- Whether there are permanent injuries, scars, & disfigurements
- The amount of medical expenses, bills, and lost wages
- The amount of insurance coverage for the dog owner
Our attorneys will evaluate all of these factors and discuss with you the likely dog bite settlement award for your case. Our lawyers almost always get you substantially greater compensation than if you were to try to settle your case directly with the insurance company adjuster, even after our legal fees. This is often several times the highest settlement offer made to you.
Examples of Our Michigan Dog Bite Settlements
Our expert dog bite and animal attack lawyers win the highest possible settlements and jury verdicts. We settle over 97% of our cases before ever going to court. Below is an examples of dog bite lawsuits won by our award winning law firm.
- $485,000 Settlement for a two year old girl viciously mauled by a pit bull in St. Clair County.
- $475,000 Settlement for a woman attacked by a neighbor’s dog that escaped from the yard.
- $225,000 Settlement for a young girl bitten in the face by a neighbor’s dog.
- $175,000 Settlement for an Oakland County woman attacked by two dogs at the same time.
- $175,000 Settlement for a 9 year old girl attacked by a dog in an Ypsilanti apartment complex
Best Michigan Dog Bite & Animal Attack Lawyers
Our legal team includes the most successful dog bite attorneys in Michigan. Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. and our lawyers have won the top awards in the legal profession, including:
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firms
- “Best Michigan Personal Injury Attorney” by American Lawyer Academy
- Named Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan
- Honored as “Super Lawyers”
- Top Martindale-Hubbell Rating (AV) for Skill & Integrity